Thursday, May 2, 2013

BANANANANANANANANANANA....bread.

It's kind of perfect that today, the day on which I'd intended to actually publish our first blog post, I was recruited by my lovely friend Marta to make a bazillionty banana bread muffins. She's running a charity 5k to help with an orphanage very close to her heart and was hoping we could bribe people to donate via the power of food.

In my experience, food is the best bribe in the world.

So rather than start you off on the badass journey of making fried pickles entirely from scratch (get pumped for next week!), I'll start this blog off with a journey based on love. Because while Linny and I are sure to rock your faces off on the regular with our culinary genius and complete and total shamelessness, we are both people who live to help those we love. I think it's important for us to start off making a good impression before we throw around enough curse words to make you doubt our sincerity.

Please, consider donating any amount to help my friends Brett and Marta Weber in their fight against world suck.
Donate to Marta
Donate to Brett



Banana Bread

3 c. flour
a couple dashes of salt
1.5 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp baking soda
2 c. dark brown sugar
1/2 c. coconut oil
2 eggs
1 c. buttermilk (or 1 cup any milk mixed with juice from one lemon for that slight tang.)
6 or so ripe-to-very-ripe bananas

Optional-two dashes of cinnamon and a sparing dash of nutmeg. (I added them to the muffin version I made today and it was pretty freakin' awesome.)




Grab yourself a bigass bowl and two greased loaf pans while you preheat the oven to 300˚F.

Throw your bananas in the bowl and mash them with whatever you happen to have handy (I traditionally use my giraffe whisk because the whisk portion is great for both mashing and mixing, and the giraffe part IS A FREAKIN' GIRAFFE.)



Throw in the rest of the ingredients in whatever order you like. I've literally done it in every single order possible and even though you're supposed to mix the dry goods separate and slowly add them to the wet goods.... I don't bother. My method of cooking is pretty well described as PUT SOME STUFF IN A THING. COOK UNTIL IT'S FOOD. And as you can tell from all those capital letters, it does not involve much delicacy or give a damn at all.



Once the batter is all mixed up, separate it into the two loaf pans. If you're feeling crazy, mix in some chocolate chips and/or walnuts at some point before putting them in the oven. (I usually do it right in the loaf pan, but smart people will do it in the pre-panned batter.)



Cook for about 45 minutes to an hour at 300˚F for two loaves, or about 25-30 minutes at the same temp if you're using muffin pans instead.

Pro tip! If you tap the top of your bananananananess and it springs back up, it's done. If it indents, sticks to your finger, or feels all woobly inside... it's not done. It's also best to cool these on a drying rack, but since I don't own any I sometimes grab the grates from inside my toaster oven and use them.... Or just cool them in the pan. You should NOT cool things in the pan because they'll get soggy on the bottom, but to be fair... Banana bread is a sticky, semi-soggy treat anyway so most people won't notice for the couple of seconds it takes to shove these babies right on in their face.




See you, space cowboy!
<3 Kat.



No comments:

Post a Comment